Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Trip

The question really isn't why, but more, why not? On Monday, August 31, I will be leaving on a month-long road trip in an effort to see as much of the United States as I possibly can.

This is a trip that will help in my attempt to accomplish two admittedly cliche life goals; to set foot in all 50 states, and to see all 30 Major League Ballparks.

The current plan for this trip has me setting foot in 46 states, and seeing 18 ballparks. If you include my earlier 2009 visits to Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, PETCO Park in San Diego, Coors Field in Denver, AT&T Park in San Francisco, and Angel Stadium in Anaheim, that will make for 23 ballparks in 2009.

I will unfortunately not be seeing games in the following parks in 2009:

Progressive Field
in Cleveland, OH
Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA
Land Shark Stadium in Miami, FL
Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, FL
Turner Field in Atlanta, GA
Chase Field in Phoenix, AZ
Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON, Canada

Time and schedule issues prevent me from visiting these parks this year, but they will most likely be visited in the near future. Also, I have seen games in Turner Field (many times), Chase Field, and Rogers Centre, so these parks were not of top priority in attempting to fulfill the overall life goal.

But this road trip isn't solely about baseball. It's about seeing the country from a view that isn't at a cruising altitude. Yellowstone, the Rocky Mountains, the Great Lakes, Mississippi River, New York City, Washington, and the Grand Canyon all seen on the ground level and from a first person point of view.

I want to see all the differences of lifestyles and people from region to region, and all the wacky and weird idiosyncrasies that make this country what it is.

I'll be posting my thoughts and reflections on what I see here, so please check back to see my progress and comments about my trip. I will try to make it as unique and interesting as I possibly can!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVING THIS! Gives me both a reason to procrastinate on my work AND keep tabs on by little bro! Keep it up! And drive safely!!