Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's up to you...


I love New York City. I feel very comfortable there, and feel like I can fit in very well, and figure out my way around after just two visits.

I took the train from New Haven, CT for the Mets game, and walked from Grand Central Station to Times Square to catch the 7 train before the game. I had been through Times Square before, but it is still a pretty cool place to see.

There’s a really cool feeling when you walk off a train and into the lobby at Grand Central. You feel like you’ve made it, and that you’re a part of New York.

I can’t recommend that everyone take a trip like I’m doing. That requires borderline insanity. But what I do recommend for everyone, is to spend any amount of time in New York City that you possibly can. Even if just for a 10 minute walk from Grand Central Station to Times Square.

There are just so many things going on, and so many people living lives, and people and food and experiences from all over the World converging here. It’s the unofficial center of the Universe, and walking through it can put a lot of things into perspective. How significant are your problems to the billions of other problems that are within the city limits?

It’s the same feeling I get when I sit near a window on an airplane. Your eyes are opened to how many people there actually are in the World, and to realize that so many of them are so much more unfortunate than you are really helps to put things in proper perspective and put a new degree of thankfulness in your life.

No comments: